2nd person charged with attempted murder, assault in attack at St. John's high school
Police in St. John's have arrested a second person on attempted murder and other charges in connection to a violent attack at a high school in the city last week.
18-year-old Tyler Greening of Paradise appeared in provincial court Monday. Greening faces charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and being an accessory to a crime.
A male youth was also charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, and disguise with intent in relation to the incident, but can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary are continuing to investigate the attack at Prince of Wales Collegiate, which they believe was targeted. The attack happened at about 11:40 a.m. on Thursday outside the school's main entrance, when according to police, several assailants with weapons descended on a 16-year-old victim. Police
Education Minister John Haggie said in the House of Assembly that the boy has been released from hospital and will continue his recovery at home.
In a statement, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District says students at Prince of Wales Collegiate can expect to see a heightened police and security presence around the school in response to the incident.
"The District always reviews incidents involving schools, even those outside of Newfoundland and Labrador, to enhance our procedures, processes and policies. The current incident will be no different," the statement read.
"The safety of all our schools, students and staff throughout the District is paramount and we regularly work with all stakeholders to ensure this remains the case."
Haggie stressed on Monday that the alleged attack didn't happen within the school's walls.
"This was a targeted attack which took place outside the school buildings. Our schools are safe," Haggie said.
"I think the concern would have been even worse if this had happened inside the school building, but that is not the case. And I mean from the point of view of policy and security, the school integrity was not breached."
In provincial legislature Monday afternoon, PC Opposition Leader Barry Petten also asked about the province's Safe and Caring Schools Policy, which was drafted by government to prevent violence.
Haggie said the initiative is a living document that can be adapted, and was last reviewed by the RNC in 2022. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are currently reviewing the document, he said, adding there will likely be a debrief on the matter in light of the alleged attack.
Haggie said he understands the concerns parents have following the incident.
"The facts of the case are, we have to deal with safety of the students in the school. Once they're out of the school, then yes, there is a role for heightened security."