Advertisement

9-Month-Old Girl Severely Burned by Warm Water Spilled on Her at Daycare: 'Every Parent's Worst Nightmare'

Addison Starnes was airlifted "due to the nature of her burns," authorities said

A 9-month-old North Carolina girl is in the ICU after her family says she was severely burned at her daycare last month.

The Concord Children's Academy said in a statement on Facebook Tuesday that the "medical emergency" happened in an infant classroom on Feb. 28.

"A precious member of our CCA family was burned with water from a bottle warmer," the center said.

The Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE that Addison Starnes was "burned by liquid from a bottle warmer after it was overturned when the infant was able to pull on the cord."

"She was airlifted to a nearby medical center for treatment due to the nature of her burns," authorities added.

Related: Boy, 8, Hospitalized After Being Injured by a Pencil in What Family Calls Bullying Incident

Addison was in the ICU after being taken to Wake Forest Hospital, according to CBS affiliate WBTV.

The sheriff's office told PEOPLE that “there is no indication anything about the injuries sustained was criminal.”

According to a GoFundMe campaign, the child has second and third-degree burns on her chin, neck, chest, stomach, arm, hand, leg and back.

"We are trying to help anyway we can as both of them are out of work along with having two other small children who still need to be cared for and as we all know bills don't stop even in an emergency like this," the fundraiser noted.

As of Wednesday afternoon, more than $22,000 has been raised.

Related: Mom Killed, Son and Nephew Injured After Parasailing Accident in Florida Keys: 'This Was a Tragedy'

Addison's family said she is expected to have one surgery this week and another next week, according to Fox affiliate WJZY.

Addison's mother works as a teacher and was in another classroom at the time of the incident, per WBTV.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

"Addison’s family would appreciate your thoughts and prayers," the mom's lawyer said in part in a statement obtained by WBTV and WJZY.

PEOPLE has reached out to her attorney for comment, but they did not immediately respond.

Following the incident, the daycare said it "took swift action to report this event and institute key safety measures to prevent any reoccurrence."

Related: Bikers Raise Thousands to Help Boy Who Suffered Severe Head Injury from Lawn Mower Accident

"We are fully committed to the health and safety of our students and ensuring this cannot happen again," the center's statement added. "We are reviewing all of the health and safety procedures across all age groups to ensure a safe learning environment for all the students."

Meanwhile, the state health department's Division of Child Development and Early Education said in a statement to PEOPLE that their agency is "aware of the concerns and is considering next steps."

"We cannot comment on investigations or possible investigations," the agency added.

Related: North Dakota Boy Critically Injured 1 Day After 13th Birthday: 'He's Fighting,' Says Dad

According to WJZY, a report by DHHS in October found that several staff members had not been updated on first aid and CPR training.

Tiffany Phillips, a former employee at the center and a childcare worker, told NBC affiliate WCNC she feels that the incident was the result of "negligence" and is "every parent's worst nightmare."

"I do feel like accidents happen," Phillips said. "Kids are going to be kids, they're going to fall, they're going to scrape their knee."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.