Immigrants who fail their citizenship tests will now be afforded a do-over.
Postmedia News is reporting that Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney will announce the new citizenship guidelines on Monday.
"Applicants who fail will be told so immediately and be given the opportunity to schedule a rewrite within four to eight weeks," notes the article.
"Those who fail the test a second time, however, will have to get in the queue to be assessed by a citizenship judge."
A spokesperson from Kenney's office told Yahoo! Canada News that a press release outlining the specific details of the process will be released on Monday afternoon.
An immigrant can take the citizenship test three years after moving to Canada; it's the final step in immigrating.
Last year, the Globe and Mail reported that an increasing number of immigrants were failing because the Harper government had made the exams tougher.
Immigration attorney Michael Niren says the re-do policy is a great idea.
"Many qualified applicants may just have test anxiety the first time around and fail not because they do not have sufficient knowledge of Canada but rather because they have issues taking tests under pressure," he told Yahoo!.
"Allowing applicants to have a second try will hopefully result in more worthy candidates for Citizenship being approved."
Niren adds that while permanent residents do not have to become Canadian citizens to stay in Canada, it does have it's benefits.
"If they don't [become citizens] they will be subject to residency restrictions, they can't vote and could be deported any time should they be convicted of certain criminal offences," he said.
So here's the question: Should the government allow do-overs for people who fail the citizenship test?
Have your say in the comments area below.