Clapham shooting: Gun went off as suspects dropped it fleeing police

Two women were hit by shotgun pellets after a suspect being pursued by police in Clapham dropped the weapon on the ground and it discharged, the Met have said.

The women, aged 27 and 36, were treated in hospital but have been released after the incident on Friday afternoon.

Two thugs had originally been on a moped which hit a man, 27, before the they tried to escape on foot.

As they were running away one dropped the weapon and the women were injured.

Police said the women were "not deliberately targeted".

The suspects escaped and police have launched a manhunt for them.

DCI Gemma Alger, Specialist Crime, said: “Our investigation to identify the two people responsible is at an early stage, but we will be relentless in following up every line of enquiry to arrest them.

“The suspects fled the scene on foot. Crime scenes remain in place in St Alphonsus Road as forensic searches are ongoing at premises where the suspects made off through gardens.

“The shotgun was recovered from the scene and this will also be subject to forensic analysis.

“I want to hear from anyone with information about the incident and any witnesses yet to speak with police. CCTV footage will form part of our investigation, and of course I also want to hear from anyone who has dashcam footage that may assist the investigation.

‘’Local Officers will be in the area to provide reassurance to the local community.’’

Police had been following the suspects’ moped near Clapham Common at just before 5pm on Friday. An eyewitness said one of the women had been shot in the leg.

Forensics experts have been combing the scene for clues as detectives trawl through CCTV footage.

The incident has been referred to the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards because officers has been pursuing the moped before members of the public sustained injuries.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 ref CAD 5008/01Mar. To remain anonymous please contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.