7 new COVID cases in S'pore; Bugis Junction and Raffles City SC added to list of venues

Staff Writer, Singapore
·Editorial Team
·3 min read
A couple and their children dine in business class during the inaugural lunch at Restaurant A380 @Changi onboard a Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 plane at Changi International Airport in Singapore.
A couple and their children dine in business class during the inaugural lunch at Restaurant A380 @Changi onboard a Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 plane at Changi International Airport in Singapore. (PHOTO: Roslan Rahman/AFP via Getty Images)

SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases in Singapore as of Tuesday (27 October), taking its total case count to 57,980.

All but one are imported cases. Altogether, three are asymptomatic while four were symptomatic, said the MOH.

The lone local infection, identified as a community case, is a short-term visit pass holder who arrived from Vietnam under an air travel pass. She is a caregiver to her sibling who was already receiving medical treatment here for an unrelated condition.

The case had undergone a COVID-19 test upon her arrival here on 10 October and her result came back negative.

“She subsequently developed acute respiratory infection (ARI) symptoms on 23 October and was tested for COVID-19 under our enhanced community testing to test all individuals aged 13 and above who are diagnosed with ARI at first presentation to a doctor,” said the MOH.

Amongst the six imported cases, four are currently employed in Singapore – two are work pass holders who arrived from Japan and France, and the other two are work permit holders who arrived from Indonesia.

One holds a dependant’s pass holder and arrived from the UK. The remaining case is a short-term visit pass holder who was allowed entry into Singapore to visit her child who is a permanent resident.

All six imported cases had been placed on the stay-home notice or isolated upon their arrival here and were tested while serving the notice, said the MOH.

The ministry noted that the number of new cases in the community has decreased from four cases in the week before, to three in the past week. It also said that the number of unlinked cases in the community has increased from two cases in the week before, to three in the past week.

Separately, it announced the closure of two clusters at CDPL Tuas Dormitory – located at 6 Tuas South Street 15 – and Jurong Penjuru Dormitory 1 – located at 58 Penjuru Place – as no cases have been linked to them for the past two incubation periods or 28 days.

Three places were also added by the ministry to a list of public venues visited by community cases while infectious: Arcade @ The Capitol Kempinski’s La Scala Ristorante, Raffles City Shopping Centre’s The Coffee Academics and Bugis Junction’s Toast Box.

They were visited on 21 October from 8.40pm to 10pm, 22 October from 6.20pm to 8.20pm and 23 October from 8pm to 9pm, respectively.

99% of total cases have recovered; none in ICU

With four more patients discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities on Tuesday, 57,883 cases – or 99.8 per cent of the total – have fully recovered from the infection.

Most of the 43 hospitalised cases are stable or improving, while none is in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

A total of 26 patients with mild symptoms or are clinically well but still test positive are isolated and cared for at community facilities.

Apart from 28 patients who have died from COVID-19 complications, 15 others who tested positive for the virus were determined to have died from unrelated causes, including three whose deaths were attributed to a heart attack and another four, whose deaths were attributed to coronary heart disease.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

More Singapore stories:

COVID-19: Travellers from 9 more countries can serve SHN in own residences in Singapore

Former stroke patient fined $3,750 for hitting woman who failed to open lift door for him

Ex-SAF regular who preyed on two young girls jailed 7.5 years, caned

NTUC, SNEF set up taskforce to boost PMEs’ employability, mitigate retrenchment risk