Fire at Delhi autobody shop blamed on lithium-ion batteries

A late-evening fire at an autobody shop south of Delhi on Thursday is being blamed on improperly charged lithium-ion batteries.

According to Katie Ballantyne, community safety officer with the Norfolk County Fire Department, the fire started around 9:40 p.m. at an auto repair shop on Simcoe Street in Gilbertville.

Firefighters from four stations responded to reports of smoke and flames coming from the east side of the building.

It was quick work to contain the fire to a single garage bay on the premises, Ballantyne said in an email.

No one was at work at the time and no injuries were reported.

The damage is estimated at $50,000. The property owner and tenant business were insured.

“Upon investigation, the cause of the fire appears to be related to charging lithium-ion batteries,” Ballantyne said.

“Norfolk County Fire Department reminds everyone not to over charge lithium-ion batteries and to follow manufacturers instructions for their use.”

J.P. Antonacci, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Hamilton Spectator