Firefighters rescue 5 unconscious kids, mother from Fort Worth home after car left running
The Fort Worth Fire Department gave an update in a news conference Tuesday about five children and their mother who were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday night.
Around 8 p.m. Monday, the Fort Worth Fire Department received a call from a child who told officials that her mom was not feeling well.
Five firefighters responded to the 5800 block of Orleans Lane. The girl who made the call answered the door to the firefighters and said, “Mama, upstairs,” right before collapsing in front of them, according to the fire department.
When the firefighters were carrying the girl out of the home, they also saw other children and the woman, who were unconscious and laid out on the floor throughout the home.
The firefighters brought the five children and the woman out from the residence. The identities of the children and the woman have not been released.
Fire crews found a car with the engine left running in the garage of the home. It is unknown how long the car was left on.
All doors, including the garage door, were closed when crews arrived at the scene, according to the fire department.
“They answered it well. It was a tough situation and they didn’t hesitate,” said Robby Leonguerrero, one of the five firefighters who went into the home to carry the children and the woman out. Israel Martinez, Andre Williams, Sarah Beckman — all from Fire Station 29 — and a firefighter from Fire Station 36 were the other four who responded.
The ages of the five children range from less than a year old to teens, according to the Fort Worth Fire Department. Their exact ages are not known.
The children and the woman found in the home and the five firefighters who went into the residence were all taken to the hospital and treated for elevated carbon monoxide levels. The firefighters did not put on protective equipment when responding to the call at the home because they wanted to confirm whether the incident was carbon monoxide poisoning or an overdose.
The five firefighters were discharged Monday night from the hospital.
The current conditions of the children and the woman are unknown. It is also unknown whether they have been discharged or are still being treated.
The Fort Worth Police Department also responded to the scene.
The fire department was told the woman had just gotten home and went upstairs before one of the children made the 911 call. Fire officials are working with police as they continue to investigate how the incident occurred.
“Time is very much of the essence on calls like this. We’re fortunate crews were there in a timely fashion to make it safe,” said Craig Trojacek, public information officer for the Fort Worth Fire Department.