The British pound initially pulled back during the week, but then found the 200 week EMA to be strong enough to turn things around and reach towards the upside. The ¥145 level is of course a minor level of importance from a psychological standpoint, so don’t be surprised at all to see this market take off a bit if we can get above there. If the market turned back around, the ¥141 level seems to be a very strong support level. Expect a lot of choppiness but keep in mind that this pair does tend to move right along with risk appetite. However, there is a new dynamic in this pair featuring the Japanese yen itself.
GBP/JPY Video 24.02.20
Money is starting to flow out of Japan just simply because of economic conditions worsening. It looks as if the Japanese are going to head into recession, and of course the coronavirus issue is putting more pressure on the Japanese economy as cases is starting to increase their and of course the Chinese and Japanese have a lot of trade back and forth.
The candlestick does look very healthy, so at this point I think the buyers will eventually overwhelm things. That being said, heading into the weekend a lot of buyers probably don’t want to put on a ton of risk. Next week should be positive, but we need to get past the ¥145 level before putting money to work. With that in mind, I am cautiously optimistic but the one thing I know I don’t want to do is sell this market.
This article was originally posted on FX Empire
More From FXEMPIRE:
- GBP/USD Weekly Price Forecast – British Pound Looking for Buyers
- Crude Oil Price Forecast – Crude Oil Markets Continue to Fight
- Gold (GC) Technical Analysis Price Futures – Trading on Strong Side of Steep Uptrending Channel
- U.S. Dollar Index Futures (DX) Technical Analysis – 99.040 Potential Trigger Point for Downside Acceleration
- Gold Weekly Price Forecast – Gold Markets Break Out For The Week
- E-mini Dow Jones Industrial Average (YM) Futures Technical Analysis – Weakens Under 28903, Strengthens Over 29001