A man has been charged in connection with a shooting near Tobique Narrows, N.B., on Friday, police announced on Sunday, while three other people are in custody — including the man who had been at the centre of an extensive police search.
A 21 year-old man from Bloomfield Ridge, N.B., was charged in connection with a "shooting incident involving police," according RCMP Cpl. Hans Ouellette.
The man was arrested Saturday afternoon and charged Sunday morning via tele-remand with discharging a firearm with intent. He will appear in provincial court in Woodstock, N.B., on Monday at 10 a.m. AT.
He is not the man police initially issued an Alert Ready notification about on Friday. That man, a 25 year-old, was taken into custody shortly after 4 p.m. AT Sunday along with another man and woman in the Devon area of Fredericton.
They were arrested by Fredericton Police with the assistance of New Brunswick RCMP.
Ouellette said it's too early to say what, if any charges will be laid against any of them.
RCMP said officers responded to a complaint of a man who pointed and fired a firearm in front of several people including a child in Medford, N.B., around 7:05 p.m. AT on Friday. The man fled in a vehicle and headed south, police said.
In its release, RCMP did not specify whether the person referred to in the statement was the man charged.
Around 8:05 p.m. AT, police attempted to stop a suspect on Route 105 in Tobique Narrows, which is about 10 kilometres south of Medford. RCMP said a suspect fired at police, and the police vehicle was hit, but no one was injured.
That's when an alert was issued to the public, and people were told there was a suspect on the run who was considered armed and dangerous.
RCMP found a suspect's vehicle Saturday, between Plaster Rock and Perth-Andover.