Mich. Father Walking Home from Bus Stop Dies Days After Attack by 3 Dogs, Owner Apologizes

Harold Phillips was walking back to his Detroit home when the attack occurred

<p>GoFundMe</p> Harold Phillips


Harold Phillips

A father from Michigan has died days after being attacked by three dogs.

According to CBS News Detroit, the Associated Press and Fox 2 Detroit, Harold Phillips was walking home from a bus stop in Detroit when the attack occurred.

On Saturday, Harold's wife Shauntaye Phillips wrote on the family's GoFundMe page that he had passed away. “I appreciate every prayer, donation and message. Thank you all for the love and care you've shown my husband," she wrote.

Shauntaye set up the GoFundMe page after her husband of 11 years was hospitalized to help raise money for medical expenses following the attack. Using the page to provide updates on his health, she revealed on Thursday that Harold had to have his right arm amputated.

"The dogs bit a pretty big hole out of his arm and tore his artery, so he lost a lot of blood," Shauntaye told CBS News Detroit. "He is on dialysis. He has to keep getting transfusions. They cut off his right arm."

She then revealed on Friday that his condition wasn’t improving and his organs were shutting down.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

So far, $66,156 has been raised towards the $100,000 GoFundMe goal.

Meanwhile, according to WXYZ-TV, the owner of the dogs Roy Goodman has apologized to the Phillips family.

"To the Phillips family, I'm so sorry," Goodman said. "Nothing I can do can make this right but if there's anything I can do, I will."

Per the outlet, Goodman allegedly admitted to the station that the dogs had been previously involved in three dog bites, including allegedly involving a child.

"After the child situation, the one dog should have definitely been put down,” Goodman said.

He also explained that on Jan.29, he noticed his dogs were loose and went out to look for them, which is when they attacked Harold. Goodman then heard screams for help and called the police.

According to CBS News, the three dogs have been euthanized and Goodman has been fined $5,000. The outlet also reported that the Phillips family is suing the dog owner.

It's not clear if Goodman will face charges in connection with the incident.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.