Police Have Said Foul Play Isn’t Suspected in Deaths of 3 Chiefs Fans. That’s Caused Some 'Disappointment'

"I just don't know how they made that determination," said Tony Kagay, an attorney representing Clayton McGeeney's mother and fiancée

<p>Ricky Johnson;Facebook</p> David Harrington, Clayton McGeeney and Ricky Johnson.

Ricky Johnson;Facebook

David Harrington, Clayton McGeeney and Ricky Johnson.
  • A lawyer for Clayton McGeeney's family said there is some "disappointment" over the way the Kansas City Police Department publicly announced there's no evidence of foul play although the investigation is still ongoing

  • "I just don't know how they made that determination," said attorney Tony Kagay

  • A spokesperson for the Kansas City Police Department told PEOPLE on Friday that the case remains an "ongoing death investigation"

A lawyer representing the family of one of three Kansas City Chiefs fans found dead in their friend's backyard is addressing the response some have had to police saying there's no evidence of foul play.

"I just don't know how they made that determination," Tony Kagay, an attorney representing Clayton McGeeney's mother and fiancée, told Fox News. "Clearly there is an ongoing investigation."

From the beginning, police have said  — and continue to reiterate  — that there's "no evidence or indication of foul play" in regards to their mysterious deaths. However, grieving family members have also expressed frustration at the lack of answers.

Kagay told Fox News that there has been "disappointment" over how police have publicly handled the case, although he clarified that his clients are "supportive" of the police.

In response to his comments, KCPD Capt. Jake Becchina told the outlet that he was "sorry for Mr. Kagay’s disappointment" and that the department aims "to provide the most factual and transparent information to the public in any investigation."

On Friday, a police spokesperson told PEOPLE the case remained an "ongoing death investigation."

Kagay did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment.

<p>Clayton McGeeney/Facebook</p> Clayton McGeeney.

Clayton McGeeney/Facebook

Clayton McGeeney.

Related: Brother Suspects 3 Friends Found Dead in Yard After Chiefs Game Had Something ‘In Their System'

It's been one month since McGeeney, David Harrington and Ricky Johnson were found dead outside their friend Jordan Willis’ rental two days after watching a Chiefs game together on Jan. 7.

Officers found the two other bodies in the backyard of Willis’ home upon responding to the scene, police previously told PEOPLE. Police have repeatedly said that "no foul play was observed or suspected" and that a cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

John Picerno, who represents Willis, previously told PEOPLE in a statement that his client “is unaware of how his friends died,” and is “anxiously awaiting the results of the autopsy and toxicology report.”

Picerno also said that Willis did not notice the men dead in his backyard or their cars still in the neighborhood in the two days between the football game and the discovery of their bodies.

Early toxicology reports reportedly indicated they had “several” substances in their systems, per FOX affiliate WDAF-TV and TMZ, citing sources. However, the autopsy and official toxicology reports have not been made public.

Related: Mom Was Celebrating Birthday When She Learned Son Was Found Dead with Friends After Chiefs Game, Brother Says

Meanwhile, the victims' families continue to question the circumstances surrounding their deaths. David’s stepmother, Theresa Harrington, told NewsNation’s Chris Cuomo last week that early toxicology reports make her feel as though “there’s more to the story."

“We keep getting answers that they’re still investigating,” Theresa added. “So there’s something there that they’re saying ‘maybe that’s not right’ as well.”

Nothing is adding up," Johnson’s brother, Jonathan Price, previously told PEOPLE.

Related: Family of Chiefs Fan Found Dead in Yard Says Early Toxicology Reports Show 'There’s More to the Story'

A spokesperson for the Kansas City Police Department told PEOPLE on Friday that no additional details or reports have been revealed to the media.

"Both KCPD Detectives and the Platte County Prosecutor's Office have been in touch with the deceased men’s families and remain in contact with them as the investigation unfolds," the statement read.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.