Two Adult Men Charged With Murder In Fatal Shooting At Kansas City Super Bowl Rally; Face Life Sentences If Found Guilty

UPDATED, 12:55 PM: Missouri prosecutors have just revealed that two men have been charged with murder out of the fatal shooting that the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl win celebration on February 14.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said on Tuesday that Dominic Miller, 18, and Lyndell Mays, 22 now face a variety of charges, including second-degree murder. Both injured as a part of the shootings last week, the duo are in custody in a Kansa City hospital on bail of $1 million each.

More from Deadline

The men could get life sentences if found guilty of the felony plus the unlawful use of a firearm charges. Prosecutor Peters Baker said at a press conference Tuesday that her office’s investigation of the shooting is ongoing and more charges could be coming.

Last week’s shooting at the end of the Chiefs parade killed local radio DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan and wounded at least 22 other people. Half of the victims were children younger than 16, and the youngest victim is 8 years old.

PREVIOUS UPDATE, February 16: Authorities have charged two teenagers in connection with Wednesday’s fatal mass shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade and rally.

The two juveniles, who were detained in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, are facing gun-possession and resisting-arrest charges but not murder for now. The Jackson County Family Court Division said that “additional charges are expected” as the police investigation continues.

The teens were not identified because of their ages, and they remain in a juvenile detention center in Kansas City. According to Missouri law, a person must be released from custody within 24 hours if he or she is not charged with a crime or held by a warrant. But because the suspects are juveniles, they can be held for a longer time with a court order.

No official word yet as to whether they will be charged as adults in the shooting that killed local radio DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan and wounded at least 22 other people. Half of the victims were children younger than 16, and the youngest victim is 8 years old.

Kansas City police said Thursday that a dispute between several people led to the gunfire.

PREVIOUS UPDATE, FEB 14 3:31 PM: The toll from today’s mass shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl celebration continues to rise. Fire Chief Ross Grundyson said during a late-afternoon news conference that there now is “a total of 22 gunshot victims, one of those was a fatality. We had eight which we considered to be immediately life-threatening patients, we had seven life-threatening injuries, and we had six with minor injuries.”

Nine of the injured are children, officials said later.

Grundyson said those with life-threatening injuries were “transported to hospitals within 10 minutes, so we felt the response was certainly adequate and appropriate.”

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said officers have “three persons detained and under investigation. She added that police are “working to determine” if one of them was in a video on social media that showed bystanders talking to a man who was running from the scene.”

Officials had said earlier that two armed “suspects” were in custody.

Graves added that several details “have not been determined yet — the number of shots, the time in between them, motive. All of that is still actively being investigated.”

Asked whether there was more than one shooting scene, Graves said: “That is still an active thing. That is a lot of ground to cover, as you know the size of Union Station. I will tell you we have located that crime scene on the west side of Union Station. As far as in the front of [the station], that is still under investigation. We have crime-scene investigators as well as detectives. We had a lot of our Assault Squad detectives and our homicide detectives that were actually in uniform today working the assignment, so not only did you have a uniformed presence immediately responding to the scene, rendering aid, running toward the scene, you also had detectives immediately on the scene who are still there and actively working.”

Authorities still have not indicated whether any threat to the community remains. Kansas City schools were closed for the day.

PREVIOUSLY, FEB 14 2:24 PM “We still have parties that are walking into hospitals,” Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said this afternoon in the aftermath of a fatal mass shooting following the Super Bowl celebrations at the metropolis’ Union Station.

“I do not have conditions on our victims just yet,” the chief added. “I do not believe that any of them were children.”

As of right now, at least one person is dead and 10 to 15 wounded from the gunfire and non-gun injuries.

The shooting followed the Kansas City Chiefs Valentine’s Day downtown parade and rally. A local hospital is currently treating four gunshot victims and eight others non-gun injuries.

“This investigation is just beginning and we are working safely to clear all surrounding areas and businesses,” the police chief explained, noting that up to 20 shots were fired off. This is the 57th mass shooting in America in 2024 so far.

Two armed “suspects” have been taken into custody, Chief Graves confirmed. Whether or not, that duo were involved in the shooting Wednesday remains unclear. “As soon as the rally concluded, there were shots fired on the west side of Union Station,” the Kansas City Police Chief stated conference less than two hours after the shooting. “Officers were on scene in the area. I know one of the suspects was immediately pursued on foot. There are two suspects in custody.”

Around 800 local law enforcement officers were in the area, because of the second consecutive NFL championship parade by the Chiefs.

“I’m angry about what happened today,” Chief Graves added what became a heated exchange with journalists at times “The people who came to this celebration should expect a safe environment. We had more than 800 … officers at the scene. Because of bad actors – which we very few – this tragedy occurred.”

“This is not Kansas City,” both the police chief and Mayor Quinton Lucas exclaimed. “We are praying for the safety of everyone,” the Mayor said.

Mayor Lucas added that he had heard from the White House offering “all federal assistance in the investigation.” As the press conference was ongoing, the Biden administration put out a statement of its own. “The President has been briefed on the shooting in Kansas City and will continue to receive updates,” it said, “White House officials have been in touch with state and local leaders, and federal law enforcement is on the scene supporting local law enforcement.”

Officials said four people were being treated for gunshots wounds at University Health Center and eight others for non-gun injuries. Thousands of people went scrambling after multiple shots rang out around 2 p.m. local time.

Another update and press conference has been set for 3 p.m. PT.

Best of Deadline

Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.