Teenage girl, 14, dies after being electrocuted in her sleep by faulty iPhone charging cable

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
The teenager died after being electrocuted by the faulty iPhone charger cabe (AsiaWire)

A teenage girl has tragically died after her faulty iPhone charger cable electrocuted her in her sleep.

Police in the Hoan Kiem district of Vietnamese capital Hanoi said they found the burnt white cable on the 14-year-old’s bed and believe a slight tear in the rubber casing may have revealed the live wires inside.

The schoolgirl, named in reports as Le Thi Xoan, was found unconscious by her parents and rushed to a local hospital.

Exposed wires can be seen towards the end of the cable (AsiaWire)

However, doctors were unable to revive her and pronounced her dead, while medics also confirmed electrocution as the cause of death.

According to investigators, the police believe the girl had plugged her Apple device into charge and laid the iPhone 6 on her bed like she did every night.

They said the teenager likely rolled onto the iPhone’s charging cable, which had tears in it and electrocuted her with the current.

Most popular on Yahoo News UK

Search fails to identify man found dead in Kent field next to a suitcase and wedding catalogue
Man jailed for raping woman after being caught using her bank card in McDonald’s
‘I’m disgusted with myself’: Man who left angry note on ambulance apologises after neighbour dies
‘Transracial’ man born white in Florida now identifies as Filipino
Five little quirks which might mean you’re actually a psychopath

The charging cable is being inspected but the authorities said they are yet to determine whether it was the original Apple wire or a third-party device.

In a picture showing the burnt accessory, it appears to be shorter than Apple’s original 20-inch charging cable.

See-through tape had also been wrapped around the front of the cable, suggesting that the victim may have been aware of the wear and tear but decided to continue using it regardless.