Vape battery sparks recycling warehouse fire

Middlesbrough Community Fire Station
Five engines from Teesside fire stations were sent to extinguish the blaze [Google]

A fire at a warehouse filled with tonnes of recycling material was caused by a decomposing vape battery, the fire service said.

The blaze broke out on Dockside Road in Middlesbrough shortly after 18:00 BST on Wednesday.

Five fire engines were sent to the scene from stations in Grangetown, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Stockton.

Cleveland Fire Brigade said the fire was eventually extinguished at about 23:00.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Twenty tonnes of recycling material was damaged by the fire."

Follow BBC Tees on X (formerly Twitter), Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to

Related internet links