As we inch closer to the end of the year — and maybe the world — YouTube's annual retrospective on the viral stars of 2012 reminds us that this was the year of "Gangnam Style."
In just six short months, Korean pop sensation Psy's hit song became the most watched YouTube video ever. And just when you thought you may have seen the last "Gangnam Style parody," Google presents Rewind, YouTube style.
“This year, Korean Pop music transcended boundaries and took the world by storm," YouTube writes. "Cover songs, parodies, and 'do-it-yourself' music videos from all genres entertained us in countries near and far. And you participated in conversations at a global scale, uploading videos to share ideas on everything from nonprofit campaigns, to political satire, to new and surprising voices and talents. Plus, all over the world, you tuned in for the most up-to-date news footage of presidential elections, natural disasters and more."
As part of their year in review, YouTube has launched an interactive timeline that allows you to troll for viral videos by scrolling through the months of the year. Check it out:
And if you're looking for more 2012 nostalgia, check out the YouTube Rewind channel. The year's viral hits are broken down into categories, including the Top Trending Videos (Global), Top Trending Videos (Sports), and Top Trending Videos (Canada). Here are the top trending videos that went viral north of the border:
- PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V
- Somebody That I Used to Know - Walk off the Earth (Gotye - Cover)
- KONY 2012
- "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen - Feat. Justin Bieber, Selena, Ashley Tisdale & MORE!
- Surprise! Britney Learns 'Gangnam Style' from Psy!
- Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2.
- "Fallen Kingdom" - A Minecraft Parody of Coldplay's Viva la Vida (Music Video)
- Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
- "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen (MattyBRaps & Cimorelli) "Don't Call Me Baby" Parody
- Felix Baumgartner's supersonic freefall from 128k' - Mission Highlights