Man charged in deadly shooting makes court appearance in Halifax

1 / 2
Man charged in deadly shooting makes court appearance in Halifax

A man accused in the 2013 shooting death of Matthew Sudds in Halifax has made his first court appearance on a charge of first-degree murder.

Ricardo Jerrel Whynder, 32, was brought to Halifax to answer to the charge after being arrested last week without incident in Surrey, B.C.

Sudds's body was found in a ditch near Africville Park in north-end Halifax in October 2013. Police said the 24-year-old man had been gunned down.

Wearing a grey tracksuit, Whynder appeared calm during Tuesday's appearance in provincial court, blowing kisses and exchanging words with two women sitting in the gallery.

He was remanded to custody until a court appearance scheduled for March 24. Dates for a preliminary inquiry are expected to be set at that time.   

While it's taken time to gather evidence in the case, Crown attorney Rick Woodburn said prosecutors are confident in moving ahead with the charge of first-degree murder.

"First-degree murder charges have less to do with the amount of evidence; it's the type of evidence," Woodburn said outside court.

"It has to do with whether or not there was some planning and deliberation involved." 

Woodburn was unable to comment on the evidence that led to an arrest, but said the Crown will oppose an application for bail should Whynder apply.